SJGS Chess Club
The SJGS Chess Club, an official affiliate of the U.S. Chess Federation (USCF), is open to students in grades 1-8, from beginners to expert players. Participants learn and practice strategies of chess in preparation for tournament play. Over 80 SJGS students now participate in Chess Club each year!
The club holds two seasons per year, in the fall and winter, each including participation in a Scholastic Chess of Indiana (SCI) tournament as well as club tournaments. Additional lessons, camps, chess nights, and tournament opportunities are provided throughout the year.
Details and registration for the June 3 SJGS Tournament.
Details and registration for the SJGS Summer Camp, June 25-27.
- 5th grader Therese Walatka won the 2018 Indiana K-12 Girls Championship in Fort Wayne in April, and will compete as the Indiana representative in the National Girls Finals in Wisconsin this July.
- The SJGS 6th and Under “A” team tied for 3rd (6th on tie breaks) out of 53 teams in the Indiana Team State Championships in Hammond in March.
- The SJGS 3rd and Under “A” team tied for 4th (6th on tie breaks) out of 50 teams in the Indiana Team State Championships in Hammond in March.
- 1st grader Julie Walatka was 1st grade champion at the 2017 Indiana Grade Level Championships (and rising Kindergartner Nathan Walatka won the K/Pre-K Championship) in Fort Wayne in November. Julie and Nathan also finished 5th and 6th, respectively, in the 3rd and Under division of the 2018 Indiana Individual Championships in Indianapolis in January.
- Catherine Lutz (3rd grade) and Therese Walatka (5th grade) were each runner-up at the 2017 Grade Level Championships in Fort Wayne in November.